Whacking the pinata

I forgot to show you something the other day, and it was too good not to mention. Last week a coworker showed up to the office with this:

I don’t think I need to say too much about it, other than I ate half of it for lunch dessert and half of it for dinner dessert, and likely became diabetic twice in one day.

This is the type of thing that Steve and I can be found doing on any given night.

He got new goggles and I got a new swim cap, so why would we not just wear them around the kitchen? Not weird at all, is it?

How ’bout a little weekend recap? Glad you asked. Friday I left work early so we could drive down to the middle of nowhere Roselle, IL and purchase a new vehicle that Steve found online. He decided to upgrade his Ford Explorer to a Mercury Mountaineer with a V8 engine because of the greater towing capacity. We have a boat and he was worried about the transmission in the Explorer giving out from towing it. He was able to find the Mountaineer for a great deal and will hopefully be able to sell the Explorer for not too much less than we paid for this one. Sorry I don’t have a picture of the new vehicle, but it’s pretty nice.

We left Milwaukee just after 3pm hoping to avoid traffic on the way down, but of course we hit traffic anyways. It took us two hours to get to the dealership, then several more hours at the dealership between the test drive, contracts, financing, etc. By the time we left it was 8pm and we were starving. I had noticed a cute little deli/ice cream shop on the way in and was so excited to stop there for food and ice cream. We got there at 8:05pm and they were closed! Seriously, what kind of ice cream shop closes that early on a Friday night?? There was nothing else close by, so we just got back on the freeway and headed towards home. I didn’t want to get off the freeway anywhere on the IL tollway, because you have to pay a toll to get off on most of the exits. Lame.

Just over the border into WI I pulled off the freeway and into Culvers. It was now just after 9pm and I was hungry and exhausted. I am not proud of the food choices I made, but I just wasn’t feeling a salad, which is the only healthy thing on the menu. I ordered a kid’s meal with grilled cheese, apple sauce (yay fruit) and chocolate milk (which I saved for my Saturday post-run recovery smoothie). The main reason to order the kid’s meal is it comes with a free scoop of frozen custard. However, I wasn’t into the flavor of the day and I also had a coupon for BOGO sundaes. Steve was game and that is how I ended up with this:

That would be a turtle sundae and I am embarrassed to say I couldn’t even finish it. We made the rest of the drive home and by then it was 11pm. I promptly collapsed on the couch for a little while before going to bed.

Despite going to bed at midnight (2 hours past my normal bedtime), I still woke up bright and early Saturday morning at 6:45am. I had some baking to do for a birthday party later in the day. I combined a few different recipes to make these chocolate chip cookie topped brownies.

For the brownie layer I used the recipe on the box of Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate. The chocolate chip cookie recipe was improvised from several different vegan recipes because I was out of eggs and needed to modify for what I had on hand. You could really make this with any brownie and chocolate chip cookie recipes. Just bake the brownies half-way before placing the cookie dough on top, then finish baking. They turned out great, and were perfect alongside the ice cream cake that was served.

After baking, I headed out for a 10 mile run, my last weekend “long run” before Boston. I must be tapering correctly because I felt really good and ended up with an 8:14 average pace. After refueling, showering, and refueling part two, it was time to head to the party.

The birthday party was for two of my little cousins, and there was a pinata.

All of the kids took turns being blindfolded, spun in circles, and whacking the pinata. The birthday girl Megan took the final blow that knocked the massive candy-filled orb to the ground.

Candy madness ensued.

It was magical. You know I stole some.

We started watching the movie Due Date when we got home from the party, but I was falling asleep half way through (typical), so we are going to finish watching it tonight. It is supposed to reach 80 degrees today before some major storms blow in this afternoon. I do not have a run on the schedule, but I will almost definitely be heading out for a short easy one in the beautiful weather. Happy Sunday!

Are you able to stay awake for movies?

I fall asleep 97% of the time at home, it’s pathetic. I have dozed off in the theatre several times as well, which is even worse.



Filed under Baking, Family, Food, The run, weather

3 responses to “Whacking the pinata

  1. Mom

    I think you know the answer to that question for me!

  2. my sweet tooth loves that brownie shot!

  3. Awesome post, as always. Picturing you cooking dinner in your swim cap made my day! 🙂