Another packed summer weekend

Even though our summer weekends have been filled with a lot of training hours, I always try to make sure to do plenty of summer activities as well. It’s always tempting to lay down on the couch and nap the afternoon away after an 18 mile run, but summer is short and we have to take advantage.

Saturday morning was an 18 mile run that almost didn’t happen. I have been having some pain on the bottom/side of my right foot, which has caused my calf to be in a knot from trying not to land on it while running. Friday night I could barely put pressure on it, and it didn’t feel much better Saturday morning. The thought of doing a 3 hour bike ride instead of running made me want to die a little, so I put on my compression socks and running shoes to see how it felt. After a couple of laps around the condo, I decided it wasn’t so bad.

I paid really close attention to it during my run, and though my calf was sore the whole time, my heel didn’t seem to be getting any worse. I ended up with 18 miles (out of a planned 20). My Garmin froze up two miles in, which was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to forget about the pace and just take it really easy. My heel didn’t feel any worse after, thank goodness.

After running, Steve and I decided to take the boat out to try and catch the end of the air show that was happening in Milwaukee. We really wanted to see the Thunderbirds show, they are so loud and awesome. When we got to the boat storage, we were greeted with this:

Ugh. While Steve worked on changing the tire,

I made myself really useful by taking pictures of myself and my iced coffee.

The Thunderbirds were performing as the tire was being changed, so we just missed them. We could hear them loud and clear though, and we did see them fly over the boat storage several times.

Even though we missed the show, we still had a great time cruising around on the boat. I will never get sick of the view of Milwaukee from the water.

There were so many boats out, probably because of the air show and the perfectly breezy sailing weather. Can you spot all of the sailboats?

After cruising around for a while, we were hungry. We headed to the Milwaukee Ale House for some outdoor dining.

I had a margarita (which I could barely finish because it was so sweet) and a black bean burger. Look at this beauty.

Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and cucumber sauce. Yum.

We were determined to get our 5 hour bike ride on Sunday done in time to actually see day two of the air show, but mother nature had other plans. The plan was to leave at 7am, be back by 12:30, and be on the water by 1:30. I woke up at 6am and started getting ready. By 6:30 it was storming. We waited it out and didn’t end up biking until 11am. So much for the Thunderbirds.

We rode out to Steve’s sister’s house which is about 46 miles away. I am not kidding when I tell you that the entire way there was uphill and into the wind. It was horrible. Then about 6 or 8 miles before we got there, it started raining. Then it started pouring. We couldn’t see a thing, and I declared that I would not be riding home. (Not sure how I was going to get back, I didn’t think that far ahead).

After a nice visit with my sister-in-law and eating all of her wheat thins, I felt better. The sun was back out, and it was quite steamy. The ride home was a million times better than the ride out. It took us 2:45 on the way out and 2:30 on the way back. We ended up with 92 miles in 5:15, not too shabby. And then it was time to eat tacos and collapse on the couch. We watched Rango, which I was loving but of course I ended up falling asleep.

Two more big build weeks and then it’s taper time!

What did you do this weekend?

Do you like biking?


Comments Off on Another packed summer weekend

Filed under Food, Fun, The bike, The run, Triathlon

Comments are closed.